….and I’m not talking squat, bench and deadlift.
- Start by trying to get in half of your weight in ounces every day. If you weigh 120 pounds, drink 60 ounces of water daily; this is about 4 bottles. The more, the merrier.
- Use a straw. This sounds silly, but if you have a big tumbler with a straw, you will drink more.
- Get bored with water? Get yourself a some water drops. You can get sugar free ones that are naturally sweetened at the grocery store. Or try some carbonation, Pellegrino is my favorite (plus it makes you feel fancy!)
- Take your dog for a walk.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
- Park further away at the grocery store (or any store).
- Take the long way to get to the bathroom at work.
- Go for a walk on your lunch break.
- Taking time to stand up and stretch while at work (maybe even get a desk that you can adjust to stand at!)
You are probably wondering at what point am I going to tell you to eat “clean”, right?
- Read the label. Often when we grab a candy bar or a bag of chips that we think is a “single serving” it can actually be 2-3 servings! These companies are getting tricky and making us think “oh, 150 calories a serving, that’s not bad!” when in reality that bag of chips is 3 servings!!
- Measure your food. Yes, I know off the top of my head that I can have 2 Oreo’s for 140 calories, or 13 Cherry Twizzler Bites for 110 calories. Count out a serving and then put the rest back in the pantry. If you sit there with your hand in the bag, you will overeat and you won’t even notice how much you’ve had!
- Buy single serving packs. I enjoy buying things that are already sold as a single serving, that way I can grab and go and know that I am not overeating.
- Use a smaller plate! This way the appropriate portion will look like decent size unlike if you put it on our “dinner plates” that are about the size of a serving platter.
- Don’t feel guilty. If you want a cookie, have the cookie and then move on!
Don’t restrict yourself until you get to the point of binging and you end up eating a whole pack of cookies!